5 LOOKS FOR AN ABOVE AVERAGE BIRTHDAY SLAY.
Updated: Dec 14, 2020
Que the Stevie Wonder version, because it's my birthday. Today on the blog, I'm sharing all the looks I curated for a multitude of birthday plans that range from brunching to date night. Had COVID-19 not intervened, these looks may have came into fruition. Before I get to the celebratory looks, let's kick this blog post off getting better acquainted. In honor of my birthday, I wanted to share some more of myself.
So, here's the 11 things you probably don't know about me. 1. I was a designer before I became a stylist. In college and high school I used to design micro-collections for local fashion shows. I also did a ton of DIY's back then too.
2. I am not a morning person. I thrive at night. I hate early mornings unless there’s food involved. If I had my way I wouldn’t wake up before 10am everyday. 3. My favorite food is gumbo. Specifically my grandma's gumbo. She can do no wrong in the kitchen in general, but that gumbo?! It's something serious.
4. I like to dance more than I like to eat, and I like to eat a lot.
5. I was cheer-leading captain in high school. It’s not like the movies...I promise. 6. A running list of things that I enjoy: Self aware people, Feeling sore after a good workout, Babies (I don’t tend to trust ppl who don’t feel more uplifted when in the presence of a child), People with accents (New Orleans accents are top of the list), Good listeners, People aware of their privilege (that includes all privilege from right hand-ers to blue eyes), emotionally intelligent people, Hagan-Daaz Dulce De Leche ice cream, Back muscles, Morris Chestnut, Anything Shonda Rhimes touches, Men who aren’t afraid to call themselves feminists and so much more.
7. I don’t like to eat things most people love. I don’t like chocolate (oddly enough, chocolate cake gets a pass) and peanut butter. 8. I hate watching horror movies. Before Jordan Peele's Get Out, I hadn’t watched a horror movie in 9 years, and I haven't watched one since.
9. I am goofy and clumsy. Typically they attack at the same time. 10. Apparently my love language is words of affirmation (I took the test) which is interesting because I thought I was a quality time kind of girl. If we're being real, my true love and apology language is most definitely food. :)
11. The song I will never not sing along to is International Player's Anthem by UGK. And I will forever cut up when this bop comes on.
Most of these things aren't obvious but very important aspects of who I am. Moving on to the next portion of this blog post, the looks. If you couldn't already tell, I had so much fun filming the video below.
On July 3, A Queen Was Born.
My style is versatile, so I wanted to show you all the different looks I chose for my birthday plans! Rather you’re having a day at the park or spending the night out with your girls, I hope these looks inspire you to get dressed like it’s your birthday everyday.
TIE-DYE MAMI This look is so youthful. I felt like I was 16 wearing this. I love embracing this side of my style sometimes because typically I’m either professional or a little more sensual and edgy. For this look I chose a white tennis skirt from my sister's closet and a cropped tie-dye top. The gold strappy sandals are from Urban Outfitters. They was supposed to be my go-to summer shoe this season, so I'm very sad they didn't get the visibility they deserved. The handbag was from my great aunt who passed and left a ton of vintage pieces for my sister and I! It’s not something I would buy for myself but since I have it I'm obsessed.
STATEMENT-MAKING MINIMALISM This is a date night look if I’ve ever coordinated one. It was definitely my favorite to shoot. The dress is from the Cushnie x Target collaboration in stores and online now! I chose minimal jewelry for this look because the dress and shoes are such stunners, ostentatious jewelry really isn't needed. The heels are actually a DIY I replaced the ankle strap with ankle ties (ribbon) that laced up to my thighs! The heels were such a sexy addition to elevate this look.
LAND OF THE CHIC This look is ideal for a day at the park or festival season. The scarf top is perfect because it’s backless so it can keep you cool on a warm day. I borrowed it from my friend, Nick who got it from Amazon. I paired it with a pair of high-waist shorts that I thrifted and remixed from my DIY days. The strappy block heel sandals are from Urban Outfitters. I love the earth tones that came together to create this look!
LEATHER PANT LADY This is perfect for a night out with the girls. Cue Beyonce’s "Get Me Bodied." The white plunge neck top was from Forever 21. I purchased it four years ago and it was actually a dress first but I cut it into a top. Those DIY days are far from over. The leather trousers are from ZARA. This look was accessorized to create a minimal yet glamorous look. The rainbow earrings, the anklet, the waist chains all came together to add some low-key glamour to this outfit.
LET'S BRUNCH IN STYLE
I love this look because it truly is a nod to my early 20's style. Very girly and romantic; I loved pearls and ruffles back then. I borrowed the skirt from my sister. I always say having a sister is one of the greatest things that has happened to my wardrobe. The bodysuit is from Fashion Nova. I love the way it fits. I purchased the rose gold heels a few years ago in Miami. I would probably wear this look for brunch or an elevated day party.
I hope you enjoyed this post as much as I enjoyed writing it! Now, I want to know what’s your favorite look?! Tell me below.